Monday, 28 February 2011

Wellspring ideas and inspiration

The past few weeks have been spent working on the Wellspring project. I've found this one very difficult because it requires me to be more serious than I would usually be with my work.

My work has to be based on Beverley's story. For some reason it won't let me copy and paste the story onto here and I have no intention of typing it all out... However if you look here you can find and read the story... http://www.thewellspring.btck.co.uk/Membersstories


My initial ideas were focused around bottles because it was the drink that caused her to be in her situation. My first ideas were very grapic using black and white shapes to make up the bottle and then the bottle lable area would be used for my quote.

I felt that the bottle ideas weren't really "me" so I tried to incorperate a character into some of them.






After speaking with Ian Whadcock I realised that I could still use my character but in a more serious way. He also talked to me about the idea of using arrows to show how Beverley has gone down but is now back up in life.






These are the sketches that Ian Whadcock did to help me start thinking about arrows and possible compositions using them...

After this I started playing around with the arrows thing and came up with some possible compositions.

The Wellspring people really liked the bottom right idea which was the idea I liked out of them all. They didn't really give me much more feedback than that...


I then decided to speak to "Our Ian" about my ideas. My main concern was that my chosen idea didn't have much space left to add in text. We looked at some examples of interesting text and I really liked the twisting knot-like texts. We discussed the idea of having the arrows in a knot in the middle of the composition but having the two ends coming out top and bottom. Still keeps in with the idea of up and down but would also give me a chance to add text in the middle. I would probably have to lose the character which is a shame but I plan to experiment this week with different compositions and ways to possibly still include the character...





No comments:

Post a Comment