His studio was based within the college in the main building where the student shop used to be. I was welcomed into the studio and thanked for turning up, I then thanked him for the opportunity. After the presentation on portfolios I had revisited the layout of my work and decided to make the first page my Craig Oldham poster because I feel it is one of my strongest pieces.
Stuart loved the poster. He was most impressed by the text in the speech bubble which surprised me because I felt that the dinosaur character was the strongest aspect of the poster. I was really happy with this feedback because this was my first serious attempt at creating my own text from scratch.
Next he looked at my Nana knits cats work and my 8x8 work. They are situated together on a double page spread. Stuart suggested that I keep the two projects separate so that people don't get confused and that I should include more examples of each project, minimum two A3 pages on a double spread.
Next we moved onto my daily monster pages. He was massively impressed with them and said that they looked incredibly confident on the page. He suggested that I make the images slightly smaller so that they have more space on the page. He also said this about my first attempt at a wrapping paper pattern.
Earlier in the day Ian had suggested I design a poster including all of my monsters (over 200) and then draw onto it, circling my favourites and crossing out the ones I don't like. Stuart also agreed this would make for an interesting idea.
Finally he looked at my work for the Uganda children's book project. I was very pleased when he described it as 'magical'. He suggested again that I make the images slightly smaller to allow them more space which Ian had also pointed out earlier in the day.
Ian had also pointed out that I should line the images with the text descriptions to make the pages look neater and more thought out.
Overall Stuart felt that my work was very confident and was at a professional stage which gave me a huge confidence boost. He also said that he would be more than happy for me to come for a follow up visit to see how my work was progressing. I still feel like I have much to learn before I consider myself to be a professional but it's nice to know that people appreciate my work despite it's student status.


No comments:
Post a Comment